Wednesday, May 09, 2007

GOTD May 9th 2007

I did THREE approaches today!! YEAH, I feel good after all of that. It is all about being in state. Anyway, here's what happened:

Approach 1: Girl browsing some posters, went up to her and ask "Hey seen anything good?" She wasn't very chatty and only gave one word answers. She said "Just browsing". Didn't look up, wasn't very receptive, so I just left it at that.

Lesson: Asking questions, especially close ended questions. Not good.

Approach 2: Girl browsing some artsy posters. I opened with: "Hey you must be an arts student right?" She smiled, said no I'm in Dentistry etc.. I chatted with her a bit, told her what kind of posters I liked, and asked her what kind she likes. Just had a normal friendly conversation with her.

Lesson: Mini cold reads are good. I could have talked a bit more about what she studies. Since it is dentistry, I can go on about how dentists make an impact in the world, if there wasn't any dentists, there would be a lot of people with smelly breaths, how kissing would be bad etc..

Approach 3: Girl waiting by the library. I was chatting with an old friend earlier, so I was in pretty good state. Opened with: "Hey you missed it!, Just 2 minutes ago, a bunch of nudists went running by." (which was true) Anyway, I had another friendly conversation with her, found out she is doing teaching but interested in arts.

Lesson: When you're in state, you can do anything! Anyway, I learned that when she asked me back what I studied, I should have been more confident about it. And also realise that you can expand the conversation more, talk about the movie you watched "Mr Holland's opus" about this person who's obsessed about money, but in teaching, but finally realize how many lives he's touched. I can also say something like, you can touch many hearts. Little ones, but nonetheless hearts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home