Monday, February 13, 2006

Field report at the pool

More of a post for me to rant and rave about my AFC behavoiur.. not much of a field report,

Felt really disappointed today.. was swimming at a pool and there's this really cute girl swimming in the same lane as I was. There was even some EC when we're on opposites side of the lane.. hmm. and all the time I was having approach anxiety.. :( And when we're both on the same end of the lane, I can feel this uncomfortable tension building up, as if it's really weird that we're both next to each other and yet not talking....

I think she must have someone sensed this though, because she ended up opening ME instead.. what perfect chance.. and yet I couldn't come up with anything C&F to say..

The conversation went something like this:

Her: Can I ask you something? What are these called? (Referring to the paddles that I have)
Me: They're called tech paddles..
Her: Oh do you think it helps?
Me: Blah blah something long drawn out about how it helps..
Her: So that means a yes..
Me: Why? Are you thinking of getting them?
Her: I'm not sure, I've seen people with it.
Me: Would you like to try them on.?
Her: Tries it on and swims for a while with it on..

And basically that was it.. after she returned my stuff to me.. I felt like somehow she could sense that I was a bit of a wuss.. and I just left :(

I am pretty sure I could have handled it better... oh well, try again another time.. :)

Edited on 26th February
-------------------------
Okay, time for a post mortem of how I could have handled this better and some mistakes that I think I made:

1) Too technical in explaining what it is.. should have just said it is a "paddle" rather than "tech paddle"
2) When she asks me: "Can I ask you a question", should have immediately replied with "Depends,..." Or something C&F like "Yes,.... I am single" or "I'll have to check my schedule first... I'll get back to you whether I can go out on a date with you."
3) When I've asked her whether she'd like to try it on and she asks back "can I?" I should have made her jump through one of my hoops first according to the hoop theory and ask something back like "You're not a thief are you?" instead of just saying "yeah"...
4) Try and ask her more about herself and talk to her more about myself and then asking how to continue this conversation.. etc.. and get a time bridge or a bounce :P

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home